Monday, September 12, 2005

16-Year-Old Survivor Proud to Wear Orange “Volunteer” Wrist Band

Sunday, September 11, 2005 — HOUSTON – Sixteen-year-old Floyd Allen is very popular with the children in the Red Cross shelter at the Reliant Center in Houston.
Floyd Allen, 16, is proud to wear the orange wrist band at the Red Cross shelter at Reliant Center, Houston, where he helps keep the children occupied. During this interview, he was engaged in a game of tag with these two young shelter residents. (Photo Credit: American Red Cross)
“You got me,” Allen happily cried out after being tackled by a pair of little girls on the Reliant Center floor.
Allen helps them burn up their energy by playing tag, creating games for them, and tossing balls throughout the day.
Allen is an evacuee and signed up as an American Red Cross volunteer while staying at the Reliant Center. He’s proud to wear his orange wrist band that says “Volunteer.”
“The Red Cross is giving us a home, food and clothes,” he said. “I feel I have to do my part to help the Red Cross and I feel good helping.”
Allen explained that he just walks around helping people.
“I don’t know these kids, I just met them here,” he said. “I played football and ran track at W.L. Cohen High School in New Orleans so I really like running around with the kids. It distracts them from everything we’ve been through.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home